Sara Thopson - Jul 3, 2023
Listen to this article 00:02:27
Your browser doesn’t support HTML5 audio

The Spanish Camping Federation (FEEC) estimates that this summer will exceed the 2022 figures, with an average occupancy rate of around 90% nationwide and hundreds of establishments at full capacity, especially between July 15 and August 20. Spanish campsites expect more than 5 million travelers this year and 23 million overnight stays.

Although campsites in Spain expect high occupancy rates for bungalows and outdoor pitches for motorhomes, campers, and caravans, they warn of a potential decrease in income due to the rise in basic costs such as electricity and gas. Additionally, glamping has become a popular option for families seeking unique nature experiences this summer.

Compared to other vacation choices, camping customers typically keep their vacation length to about a week but lower their expenses by 20% by staying at a camping facility.

This summer, the average stay will be seven days, with an average daily expenditure per family between 120 and 140 euros.

Contrary to what is usual in the sector, with last-minute reservations or a few months in advance, in the campsites, 40% of the reservations were made in the first quarter and the remaining 60% after Easter.

The Mediterranean campsites (Valencian Community, Andalusia, Murcia, and Barcelona) expect occupancy of over 90%.

In the north of Spain (Galicia, Cantabria, Asturias, and the Basque Country), they believe they will also reach 90%, and the same will happen in the interior (Navarre, La Rioja, Aragon, Community of Madrid, Castilla y León, Castilla-La Mancha or Extremadura).

The Spanish Federation of Campsites recalls that the camping sector has steadily grown over the last ten summers. According to the INE (National Statistics Institute), between June 15 and September 15, from 2013 to 2022, there has been a 40.7% increase in travelers, reaching 5.1 million. Additionally, there has been a 30.7% increase in overnight stays, totaling almost 25 million in the same period.

Related articles


Add Comment