Traveling to some countries can bring more than just relaxation and new experiences. In some cases, it can also be dangerous, as a study shows.
Since the corona restrictions were reduced again in most countries, traveling has become more attractive again for many. For solo travelers in particular, the safety factor is high on the agenda. The Travel Safety Index from The Swiftest provides information on the safest and most dangerous travel destinations.
In the study, the 50 most popular travel countries were examined according to seven factors. Due to the Ukraine war, Russia and Ukraine were excluded from the study. To be able to assess the danger for tourists, safety experts evaluated countries according to the listed factors and ranked them in order.
Factors used to evaluate the dangerous travel destinations were as follows:
- Homicide rate: Intentional homicides per 100,000 population.
- The death rate in road traffic: The estimated death rate in road traffic per 100,000 people.
- Death rate as a result of poisoning: Death as a result of unintentional poisoning per 100,000 people.
- Death rate as a result of unsanitary conditions: The death rate that can be attributed to unsafe sanitation, unclean water, and poor hygiene per 100,000 people.
- Years of life lost due to infectious diseases: The number of years of life lost due to infectious diseases (adjusted for disability) per 100,000 people.
- Years of life lost as a result of injuries: Number of years of life lost due to injuries (including conflict, violence, and self-harm) per 100,000 people.
- Natural disaster risk: Risk assessment regarding natural disasters such as earthquakes, floods or hurricanes, and the country's ability to cope with a disaster should it occur.
Used sources: WHO, UN, IBRD-IDA, Our World In Data, OCHA
With a homicide rate of 36.40 persons (per 100,000 inhabitants) and a loss of 23,778 years of life (per 100,000 inhabitants) due to disease, South Africa leads the negative ranking in two categories. This puts the popular destination on the top of the list of the most dangerous travel destinations.
India Among Deadliest Destinations
Due to poor hygienic conditions, India ranks second on the list of deadliest travel destinations. In addition to hygiene, natural disasters and infectious diseases are also a source of danger here. Experts warn of twelve serious diseases when traveling to India. In addition, the authority warns that medical care in the country is to be rated as inadequate in many places.
The 10 Most Dangerous Travel Destinations
- South Africa
- Dominican Republic
- Saudi Arabia
However, the study was not only devoted to the most dangerous countries for tourists, but also to the safest ones. Except for three countries, the safest destinations are in Europe, as the ranking shows.
In six out of seven categories, Singapore achieved the best possible rating of A+, making it the safest destination for tourists. With a gap of around 14 rating points, Denmark is in second place among the safest destinations, according to the evaluation.
The Ten Safest Destinations
Just wondering what happened to Australia
Unclear why the former poster believes Israel is unsafe, with a much lower criminal rate than most Western countries, good sanitation, and very low homicide rate. It has its place and rightly so.
Israel cannot be considered in this category, unfortunately.! Germany should take one step higher to No 9 and then Italy with No.10.
Surprisingly USA and Canada are not mentioned. Canada would then be under the "Safest Countries! and USA in the Category
Most Dangerous Travel Destinations.
Sharmala Hartmann, Hartmann Reisen.