According to Turespaña, Spain welcomed over 8.1 million international air passengers in April, a 16.9% increase from last year. In the first four months of 2021, 25.26 million international passengers arrived in Spain, a 34.9% increase from 2020. In April, international passenger arrivals from the main source markets increased, with 57.6% of all passengers coming from EU countries and the remaining 42.4% from the rest of the world. The markets that saw the highest growth compared to 2020 were Portugal, Italy, and the United States. The United Kingdom remained the top source of passengers, with 1.79 million arrivals in April and 12.1% annual growth. Germany, Italy, France, and the Netherlands were significant source markets for Spain.
Madrid had the most international arrivals in April, followed by Catalonia and the Balearic Islands. Most passengers, 62.3%, chose low-cost airlines for traveling to Spain, while 37.7% traveled with traditional companies. Although international air passengers include residents returning from abroad, the vast majority are inbound tourists.