Kevin Eagan - Nov 14, 2023
Listen to this article 00:02:13
Your browser doesn’t support HTML5 audio

According to data announced by the National Institute of Statistics and Geography (Inegi), the income generated from the spending of international tourists in Mexico during the first nine months of 2023 was $22.9 billion. This figure is 11.8% higher than the income generated in the same period of the previous year. During this period, 30.8 million international tourists visited Mexico, meaning travelers abroad who spent at least the night in Mexico. This number is 12.1% higher than in the previous year. However, it is still 6% lower than the number of tourists observed during the same period in 2019.

According to the latest data, 19.6 million internal tourists have traveled to destinations within Mexico beyond the border strip. They have spent at least one night there. This figure reflects an 8.0% increase as compared to the previous year.

In the first nine months of this year, 85.5% of all international tourists entered the country by air, while the remaining 14.5% entered by land. International tourists spent $1,027 during their visits during this period. The ones who entered by air and spent more had an average expenditure of $1,143. This is slightly higher than the average expenditure of $1,125 reported in the same period last year.

Between January and September 2023, 11.4 million Mexican travelers spent a night abroad, 14.2% higher than in 2022. These travelers spent an average of $443.6 per person during their trip. Overall, international visitors spent $6.6 billion during this period, resulting in a surplus of $16.3 billion, 4.7% higher than the first nine months of 2022.

Related articles


Add Comment