The government of Buenos Aires continues to advance in its efforts to reactivate tourism amid the coronavirus pandemic. A resolution was published in the Official Gazette announcing the approved protocol for the prevention and management of COVID-19 cases for guided tours in the open air as a part of the Comprehensive and Gradual Commissioning Plan.
Within the framework of the new scenario that this global health emergency and its economic and social impact have, the Buenos Aires Tourism Board approved a protocol for guided tours in the open air within the city. Progressively, and in compliance with the protocol, tour guides will be able to fully resume activities.
“Thanks to everyone’s commitment, we can continue adding activities that allow us to gradually reactivate tourism in Buenos Aires. Tour guides are our hosts and the visible face of the city. They are fundamental for the experience of visitors as group leaders, providing the right information, taking care of the trips and taking action in case anyone has a health issue,” said Gonzalo Robredo, president of the Buenos Aires Tourism Board.
This week, a protocol for the opening of hotels for tourist purposes was also approved. The hotels can once again welcome tourists from neighboring countries (nationals or expats), whose destination is Buenos Aires Metropolitan Area.
It is worth remembering that Buenos Aires received the ‘Safe Travels’ stamp from the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), special recognition for cities that are prepared to welcome tourists.
Buenos Aires has open-air tourist circuits on foot or by bike in all neighborhoods. In addition, parks and squares are now open and, in compliance with the established capacity limits, museums, galleries and libraries are also operating throughout the city.
Following the corresponding protocols, tourists will be able to visit shopping malls, open-air shopping centers and shopping tours; and starting this week, in addition to the food courts on sidewalks and terraces, inside areas with capacity limits have also been opened.
Among the main points of the prevention and management of COVID-19 cases protocol for guided tours in the open air, the following recommendations stand out:
- Schedule and assign tours electronically.
- Digitize all documentation including itineraries, vouchers, or maps to avoid paper handling.
- Disinfect or use a hydro-alcoholic solution on the luggage of tourists.
- Offer alternative forms of payment with credit cards or electronic payment methods.
- Before starting a tour, the guide must guarantee that the location is in compliance with the preventive measures and protocols to preserve the safety and health of the tourists, and remember the sanitary hygiene rules corresponding to transfers, trips, hotels and restaurants.
- Tour guides must check that tourists have personal protective equipment throughout the activity and that social distancing is maintained.