An Italian islet Montecristo, which is known from the book Count of Monte Christo by Alexandre Dumas, will be more open to tourists as the authorities try to gain more funds.
A small outlying Italian islet called Montecristo which is not located far from the island Elba will be soon accessible for tourists. The islet of about 10 square kilometers is best known as the scene of the adventures described in the novel Count of Monte Christo by Alexandre Dumas. The islet is part of the Tuscan Archipelago and it is popular mainly among nature lovers.
Every year, only limited number of privileged tourists could visit the islet but this is about to change. As Cestovanie.sk reports national parks of Tuscany will receive less money because the authorities need to cut costs. The parks will get three million less for a year and because of that they will change the rules to lure more tourists. Visitors will have the possibility to visit the national park if they pay a fee ranging from 10 to 50 euros.
Except of interesting and rich vegetation there are also ruins of a 13th century monastery on the islet. The monastery was destroyed in 1553 by pirates. Until now a small boat came here once in a week bringing limited number of visitors during the period between June and September. A forester showed the tourists and natural scientists around.
After long years of fights conservationists succeeded and as a result all the islands in the Tuscan Archipelago became a Tuscan Archipelago National Park in 1971. Thanks to them, the islet Montecristo, which means the mountain of Christ in Italian, now has wonderful natural treasures.